Thursday 9 May 2013

Question about Teaching Science to Two Kids



Right now, I am in the middle of Sonlight Science D (Biology). We are a little behind because of our year in K public school last year.  We’ve enjoyed this science the most so far.  Now I’m trying to decide if I should finish it this summer and then start Sonlight science E (Electricity, Magnetism, and Astronomy) next school year.  The other option is to finish the second half of Sonlight D Biology next school year and do Apologia Botany or Zoology the second half of the year.

I looked at the Sonlight Science E books for next year and went into a bit of a shock!  Noah loves science and he loves a challenge but I am concerned that it would be too abstract/complex for Hannah.  I have been teaching my kids science together but now I wondering if I should teach them separately.  Do you have any advice for me?  How did your kids like the Science E Sonlight?  Should I teach Hannah something else?  I have a friend who has some Apologia science books that she is not using.  Has anyone had experience with Apologia and what do you think about it? The only thing is that I do not want to have to do separate experiments for both of my kids.  I wonder if I would be able to teach them well if I do completely different things.  Noah is in fourth grade right now and Hannah is in second grade right now.

Any advice would be great!  :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Viv!
    I have used Apologia for science for 5 years and love it. We have used it in our co-op as well. All 3 kids (1st, 3rd, and 5th) really enjoy it. There is a notebooking journal that you can buy, one for each child, and you can pick and choose what to do in there according to your children's abilities. So far, we've done astronomy, botany, swimming creatures of the 5th day, land animals of the 6th day, and anat/physiology. You can go as indepth as you want with the reading and there are online links on apologia's website for extras for each chapter as well. I've never done sonlight science, so i don't know how it compares, but so far apologia has worked for us :) Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you teach all your kids the same thing or do you teach them different subjects? How long do you take to go through the books? Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I use the same book for all 3 kids and use the whole school year to complete all the reading, notebooking, and experiments/activities. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you would like to know that I decided to do the last half of Sonlight Biology that I started this year and incorporate the Apologia Botany book into the teaching as well. I also ordered the Apologia notebooks as well. Thanks for your advice. I think it will work out well.

      Delete